- 1 lbs. boneless chicken, diced or cut into 1" thick strips
- 3 tbsp. vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 large onions chopped very fine
- 8 cloves garlic minced very fine
- 1 tbsp. coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp . turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp. garam masala (to make your own see recipe below)
- 1 cup Toor/Arhar Daal (Split Yellow Pigeon Peas)
- 2 cups frozen chopped mixed vegetables - carrots, beans peas (optional)
- 2 liters chicken stock
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Chopped fresh coriander to garnish
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a deep pan/pot. Add the bay leaf and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the onion and fry until transparent.
- Add the garlic and fry for a minute. Add all the powdered spices and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken and fry till sealed/ lightly browned.
- Add the Toor Daal and fry for a minute.
- If you're using the mixed vegetables, add them now.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer. Cook till the Daal is soft.
- When Daal is cooked/soft, add the coconut milk. Mix well.
- Turn off heat, add lemon juice and mix.
- Serve hot in individual bowls, poured over a bed of cooked Basmati rice. Garnish with
- chopped fresh coriander
Food you should try http://foodyoushouldtry.com/