Investing in your cookware in the kitchen actually is as important as choosing the healthiest food. Whether now you and your family turn into eating organic and clean food, the step is worthless if you still using your toxic old cookware. For your information, there are some materials used on cookware which are giving negative impact on your health for long term usage.
One of the materials being chosen by many households is nonstick cookware. This cookware is often chosen because you can easily wash the cookware without worrying about the food residues stick on the surface. Besides, you can cook the food more easily when the food doesn’t stick on the cookware’s surface.
Despite the advantages of using nonstick cookware, these materials actually have negative impact on your health. Recently, many researchers found that most nonstick cookware is made by materials that able to release toxic substances into your food. That is why it is so important for you to know the best nonstick cookware brand and the most materials used on cookware.
The List of Materials Used on Most Cookware
Before you decide which the best brand of nonstick cookware that suits you well, it is better if you understand the various kind of materials used for cookware. It is very important for you to choose the best cookware material depends on your cooking habits.
For example, if you like to cook tomato sauce or white sauce, don’t ever use cookware is made from aluminum or unlined copper. This material has the ability to react with those ingredients and release toxic substances into the food.
1. Stainless Steel
Stainless steel cookware is the best option for you who like to braise and brown food. Not only for browning and braising food (mostly meat), stainless steel material also able to handle pasta sauce and pickling.
- Pros: The reason why stainless steel material is compatible to bruise because it provides uniform and rapid heating to the food inside the cookware. Stainless steel also easy to care, safer because it doesn’t react with the foods, and durable
- Cons: Despite stainless steel material is easy to care, some of the cookware also tougher to clean. Some people even still want to have nonstick pan when the pick uncoated stainless steel.
2. Nonstick Coating
With nonstick coated cookware, you can fry or cook with less and even no oil. This material provides you with delicate foods and this is one of the best choices for low-fat dishes.
- Pros: The Best Nonstick Cookware is amazingly very easy to clean because no food residues stick on the surface. Besides, you can use this pan to “fry” some food like an egg without applying oil or very little oil on it so the food will be healthier and low fat.
- Cons: Despite not all of the nonstick coating material is not safe, but some of still releases toxic substances. Therefore, you better try to not scratch the surface in order to decrease the possibility of negative impact on health.
3. Enameled Cast Iron
This kind of material is a good use for frying, browning, stewing, roasting meat and many more.
- Pros: Enameled cast iron will heat slowly and retains the heat well. It is oven-safe to 500 degrees Fahrenheit, dishwasher-safe and corrosion-resistant. It doesn’t react with acidic food either.
- Cons: Being made from iron makes this cookware quite heavy. The enamel also can chip in the long-time usage.
There are still many other materials used for cookware such as copper, aluminum, carbon steel, and blue steel. You should better avoid aluminum material cookware since there are some researches prove that aluminum material can cause some problems in central nervous system. Aluminum even linked to autism spectrum disorder, Alzheimer’s, ALS based on study from Immunologic Research.
Best Nonstick Cookware Brand
1. Made In
Made In brand is one of the best nonstick pans without Teflon material you can choose. This brand is founded by co-founders Chip and Jake that were inspired by 100 years history from the family in kitchen supply. The company is supplied cookware at half of the competitors’ prices for the same product.
For producing nonstick material, Made In developing the product from high-grade American-produced PTFE. This material is able to devoid the generation of PFAS and PFOA at high heat.
This Belgian brand produces nonstick as well as nontoxic cookware material that really safe for your health. This cookware is coated by a ceramic material developed from sand or Thermolon. This material doesn’t contain any cadmium, PFAS, PFOA, lead, which is very dangerous for the body’s health. The material also heat-resistant for more than 450 degrees Celcius.
3. Cuisinart Green Gourmet
This cookware company uses Ceramica as the surface material for the non-stick cookware. Ceramica is free from PFOA and PTFE so that it doesn’t give a negative impact on your health. Another best thing about the product from Cuisinart Green Gourmet is the ability to achieve better heat conductivity. The heat conductivity is even better than nonstick pans from competitors.
Scanpan is one of the best nonstick cookware brands made from Green Tek nonstick surface. Green Tek itself is actually a ceramic-titanium coating that is scratch-resistant as well as free of PFOS and PFOA. Therefore, this brand provides you with safe cookware material.
5. Xtrema Cookware
This company provides cookware made of pure ceramic. It is able to retain the heat well so that you can cook on lower heat. The Xtrema Cookware makes sure that all of its products made from safe materials that are free of cadmium, PFOA, ceramic Sol-Gel chemical coatings, lead, and toxic metals. It leads Xtrema Cookware as the best nonstick cookware brand you better consider.
6. Ozeri Green Earth
The pans produced by Ozeri Green Earth are coated by Greblon, a textured nonstick coating, which is free from PTFE and PFOA. This coating is made from ceramic-based material and also scratch-resistant. It is very safe to cook with Ozeri Green Earth pan since it doesn’t release any toxic.