When someone is involved in an automobile accident, they can experience an array of injuries. Some of these injuries do not show outward signs right away, making them challenging to diagnose and treat. Knowing the injuries to look out for will help accident victims protect their health.
Seven Hidden Injuries That Result From Automobile Accidents
Many people visit the Brevard Chiropractic Center because they are in pain after an accident. Just after an accident, individuals can experience an adrenaline rush and shock that prevent them from realizing the degree of their injuries. It is important to watch for the following signs of hidden injuries.
- If there are soft tissue injuries, individuals will find it difficult to move. They may have stiffness, pain, and soreness. Sometimes, soft tissue injuries can cause swelling.
- Whiplash is a common neck injury, but many people do not realize they have it right away. This type of injury most often occurs when an automobile is hit from behind. The neck and head are thrown violently, resulting in soft tissue injuries of the neck. Symptoms of whiplash can include pain, stiffness, tingling, numbness, and headaches.
- Brain injuries may also occur as a result of an accident. When the head strikes an object during an accident, individuals may not know they have suffered a brain injury immediately. Concussions are the most common type of traumatic brain injury, and they can range in severity. If the brain is slowly bleeding or swelling, individuals may not notice right away until the symptoms progress.
- Herniated disks in the back can occur without warning. When a car accident causes trauma to the spine, herniated disks are common. If the herniation is severe, the disk can rupture. Often, this type of injury causes a delayed onset of symptoms. People may experience sharp pains with this type of injury.
- Spinal cord injuries often remain hidden in the beginning. Fractures, spinal concussions, and nerve damage can all occur as a result of an accident. These injuries may not show immediate signs.
- Internal organ injuries can be devastating. Internal bleeding and bruising can result in serious damage and threaten a person’s life. It is essential individuals seek medical treatment right away, even if accident victims do not feel they were injured.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder is another common issue that develops after an automobile accident. People frequently need to seek treatment for the mental health concerns they experience after a traumatizing accident.
Schedule an Appointment Right Away
Dealing with the aftermath of a serious automobile accident can be highly stressful. Often, adrenaline and shock cover up the signs of injuries. Hidden injuries begin to take a toll on the body later and result in pain and other symptoms.
It is important to seek a medical evaluation after every automobile accident. Even minor accidents can result in serious injuries, like whiplash. A doctor will perform a thorough evaluation to determine if there are any serious hidden injuries that require treatment.
Car accidents happen frequently and when least expected. When someone is injured, seeing a chiropractor is one of the most effective treatment options. Ongoing treatment is necessary for some types of injuries. Chiropractic adjustments and other treatments can help ease the painful symptoms of these injuries and assist a person in regaining their mobility and getting back to their life.