You are here
Home > Articles > 7 Foods You Should Never Feed Your Dog

7 Foods You Should Never Feed Your Dog

Dogs enjoy eating human food and most pet owners lovingly feed them without realising the adverse effects. Certain foods can be toxic and dangerous to the dog’s health which many pet owners might not even be aware of. This ignorance might pose a serious threat to your dog’s well-being and upset their overall health – or worse.

Certain foods might be healthy and nutritious to humans but can be toxic for dogs: some foods can even be fatal. Here is a list of 7 foods you should never feed your dog. 

1. Avocados

Dogs should stay away from avocados as they are toxic, and dogs can also choke on the pip. Persin is a fungicidal toxin which is present in avocados. The flesh contains a tiny amount of toxin but it mainly resides in the skin and pit. This toxin is fatal to dogs since it can cause diarrhoea and vomiting, and their heart muscle can also get damaged.

Additionally, avocados are very high in fat which can invite more health risks like pancreatitis. This not only causes unbearable pain but can also lead to organ failure and can even be fatal. The pit is very harmful and should be kept away from your dog as this can get trapped in the digestive system and cause a dangerous obstruction.

2. Raisins & Grapes

Keep your pet away from raisins and grapes since it can cause serious danger. Dogs can experience lethargy, vomiting, diarrhoea and dehydration after eating these foods. They are toxic and can cause a sudden kidney failure. The safe amount of intake is not known and it might affect some dogs more severely than others. Hence it is better to play it safe and avoid feeding dogs of any breed raisins or grapes. Even one or two grapes can have devastating consequences for your pet’s health. 

3. Chocolate & Coffee

Caffeine is extremely harmful to dogs. Chocolates are a source of theobromine which belongs to the same class of stimulants as caffeine. Coffee is also a source of caffeine. Consuming chocolates or coffee can result in muscle tremors and increase a dog’s heart rate leading to hyperactivity. Caffeine can also cause diarrhoea, loss of appetite, seizures and even death. Always check the ingredients list before buying and avoid any food or beverage that may contain caffeine. 

4. Macadamia Nuts

Even a small amount of this nut can make your pet feel sick. These nuts can lead to weakness and depression. Consuming macadamia nuts can have adverse effects on your dog which can cause tremors and hypothermia. Toxicosis resulting from macadamia nuts can be harmful for dogs and the symptoms might take up to 12 hours to appear. The consequences of consuming these nuts include weakness in the back legs, lethargy, ataxia, vomiting and diarrhoea. 

5. Alcohol

Consuming alcohol is hazardous to a dog’s health. Do not give your pet any form of alcohol since it can cause severe damage to their nervous system. Alcohol can result in a dangerous condition called metabolic acidosis which increases the total body acidity. This, in turn, can cause hypothermia, affect their breathing, lower their heart rates and also result in a fatal heart attack.

Symptoms of alcohol include tremors, disorientation, vomiting, excessive panting and thirst. Even a small amount of alcohol can be toxic for your pets and is best to be kept away from them. Alcohol can also be found in some candies or gums, hence be very careful and aware of what you are putting in your dog’s mouth. 

6. Broccoli

Broccoli contains a compound called isothiocyanate which can result in severe gastric irritation in dogs.  The stalks of broccoli are dangerous and can cause damage in the esophagus. An occasional consumption of these florets in small quantity should do no harm. However, to avoid damaging your dog’s health, it is advisable to not feed them these florets daily in large quantity. If the dog belongs to a small size of breed then their risk of getting affected by consuming excessive amount of broccoli is high.

7. Garlic

Garlic should not be included in your pet’s diet since it is toxic and dangerous for their health. It contains thiosulfate which can deteriorate their red blood cells. This can also result in haemolytic anaemia in dogs. Garlic toxicity can cause weakness, dark colored urine, heavy breathing, jaundice and pale mucous membranes. Consuming garlic can also result in loss of appetite, unbearable stomach pain and depression. Symptoms of garlic poisoning might not be visible straight away and can take couple of days to appear.  Ensuring that your dog is eating food which they are meant to eat is your responsibility. It is best to avoid feeding your dog any human food unless it is approved by your vet. There are a lot of dog food brands available in the market. This is a safe bet since they sell food which is only meant for dogs. Do some research and feed your lovable pet a nutritious meal which they deserve to build their overall health.