Dulce De Leche Cupcakes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ sticks softened unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese
- ¾ cup dulce de leche
- 2 ½ cup powdered sugar
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- In order to make dulce de leche, sweetened milk is slowly heated until it breaks down into caramelized sugar syrup that is rich, thick, and downright delicious. This sauce can be bought in most grocery stores or online for your convenience. Some people prefer to make their own dulce de leche by boiling a can of sweetened condensed milk. Since this method can be potentially dangerous, most opt to purchase it instead.
- Preheat your oven to 180C (356F) or 160C (320F) for a fan forced oven. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt. Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture.
- Next, add milk, eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla extract in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in a slow and steady stream until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl, add dulce de leche and mix for another 20 seconds.
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 of the way (using an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter into the cupcake liners makes this a quick and easy process otherwise you can use two tablespoons). Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
- While your cupcakes are baking and cooling prepare your buttercream frosting but adding dulce de leche and mix until well combined. Set aside.
- To assemble your cupcakes core the center using an apple corer or sharp knife and fill with dulce de leche. Fit the end of your piping bag with a 1M tip and frost in a swirl as demonstrated in the video. Finish with a drizzle of salted caramel sauce.
To make your own dulce de leche
- You’ll need 1 can of sweetened condensed milk.
- Place the can in a large pot and cover completely with water. Bring to a coil and then turn down to a simmer. Continue this for 2 hours, making sure the can is completely covered the entire time otherwise you run the risk of the can exploding. Let the cans cool down completely at room temperature before you open them if you value your face.
- When getting ready to serve these cupcakes, try drizzling warm dulce de leche on top for adding presentation.
Food you should try https://foodyoushouldtry.com/